Introduction by Dr. Neil Kobrin
Do you ever feel like life is simply passing you by or that you are surviving rather than thriving?
Do you have the experience that you are enduring life rather than enjoying life?
Well you are not alone! Countless people experience life in this way.
Many of us are simply not given the tools to experience life differently.
Now you can learn effective ways to change all that.
Consider what is preventing you from living more fully? What could you do to change the way you feel?
What can you let go of in your life that would allow you to experience life in a more loving, meaningful way?
Dr. Neil Kobrin combines the ancient wisdom of mindfulness with his vast understanding of psychology to bring you an experience created to change your life. He will to introduce you to a new paradigm he calls Mindful Psychology and teach you the tools necessary to lead a less reactive, more contented life.
Through this six week video/teleseminar online course you will engage in an interactive process that will give you an opportunity to challenge your “emotional status quo.” You will be given the tools to change the way you see the world, change your relationship with yourself and cultivate true emotional well-being.
What you will learn in this course
Session 1: Emotional Dependency
- Learn what it means to be “emotionally dependent” and examine the nature of your relationships.
- Learn why you might become reactive when your needs are not met.
- Understand the development of self-esteem and assess your own level.
- Discover the relationship between self-esteem and external validation and how it affects your emotional well-being.
- Learn how to shift from being externally validated to internally validated.
- Discover the role “self-judgments” play in your emotional functioning.
Session 2: Brokering The Family System
- Examine the “role” you play in your current family system, the role you played in your family of origin and the impact it has on your current emotional functioning.
- Discover how “containment” has affected your emotional development.
- Learn the difference between “Structure vs. Agency” and determine where you line up.
- Learn the difference between “Differentiation vs. Fused” and determine how either plays a role in your life.
- Understand the meaning of the “Multi-generational Transmission Process” and what has been passed down to you.
- Discover the role of “sublimation” in your life and how you can transform energy into a positive emotional experience.
Session 3: Eliminating Anger
- Discover the relationship you maintain to anger and how it effects your emotional functioning.
- Identify what “triggers” makes you angry and why.
- Learn what it means, “Beneath all anger is hurt” and how it applies to you.
- Explore the relationship between “mind” and anger.
- Examine the relationship between anger and reactivity and learn what steps you can take to be less emotionally reactive.
- Learn ways to calm the mind and body to lessen your anger.
Session 4: Importance of Giving
- Discover the relationship between emotional well-being and giving.
- Explore your relationship to giving and what has influenced it.
- Understand the influence giving can have on depression.
- Explore the relationship between love and giving.
- Examine how you restrict your heart and what has contributed to this restriction.
- Explore how your fear of being “open” confines you and the impact it has on your emotional well-being.
Session 5: Navigating Identity
- Explore the role of “identity” in emotional functioning.
- Identify the roles you play and how they serve you.
- Discover what self-concepts you hold and how they affect you.
- Explore how your culture has shaped you and the impact it has on your current level of emotional functioning.
- Learn what it means to “non-identify” and the impact it can have on how you feel.
- Explore who you “think” you are.
Session 6: Grace and Our True Nature
- Learn the meaning of the “constructed self”.
- Explore how the attitudes you hold may limit your experience in life.
- Discover the difference between the “Ordinary Mind” and the “Natural Mind”.
- Evaluate the impact of “separateness” vs. “interconnectedness” on your emotional functioning.
- Understand how contemplative practices affect the mind.
- Discover your true nature through Loving-Kindness.
What you will receive in this course
Weekly Video Course Sessions:
Each week you will receive a video in which Dr Neil presents insightful information related to the fundamentals of Mindful Psychology. Through his story telling ability these concepts come to life and can easily be understood and applied to your life experience.
Contained in each video is a Mindful Way Exercise, a guided meditation designed to allow you to experience these concepts directly while cultivating insight and compassion.
Worksheets Accompanying Each Video:
To enhance your experience Dr Neil has developed a series of questions based on the content of each video. These questions allow you to engage in self exploration and facilitate a deepening understanding of yourself and what has, and continues to, impact your life.
Through this process insights or feelings may arise that you can discuss during the live call with Dr Neil, if you so choose.
Weekly Live Calls or Previously Recorded Live Calls with Dr Neil:
Each week Dr Neil will conduct a live group call. You and your fellow course participants will have an opportunity to:
- participate in a live discussion
- ask questions about the week’s video content or related material
- process what has emerged for you.
If you miss a call or are unavailable to attend the calls don’t worry. Each Live Call will be recorded and you will have the ability to listen to them once posted.
If you missed the “live” version of the course don’t worry. You will have the ability to listen to previously recorded live calls.
Access to Other Participants through Online Forum:
Throughout the course you will be able to share your experience with your online community. Here you can post comments, ask questions or simply connect with your fellow course members. This allows you the opportunity to receive feedback, encouragement, and support, while developing new relationships.
About Dr Kobrin
Dr. Neil Kobrin, is a licensed clinical psychologist, LCSW and MFT with decades of experience in human transformation and emotional well-being. He is the bestselling author of the book Emotional Well-Being: Embracing the Gift of Life and is the founder and president of the Academy of Mindful Psychology. He is an international workshop leader in Mindfulness and Emotional Health. His workshops, attended by people from all over the world are designed to cultivate awareness, promote tranquility, and shift consciousness to advance emotional well-being.
Dr Kobrin has served as President of several professional psychology graduate schools and university, while also teaching clinical courses to graduate students as a professor. He has trained psychotherapists throughout the world and still maintains a clinical practice.
What People are Saying
Dr. Kobrin presents practical wisdom, engaging stories, and a message for me… a reminder to be more mindful around every activity, every thought, every belief, and every interaction. I’m reminded to slow down, pay more attention to what’s going on in my world and be aware of the atmosphere I create through my everyday expressions. Dr. Kobrin uses his knowledge and experience as a clinical psychologist, scientific studies, anecdotal data, wisdom from popular Hollywood movies, and an array of stories from his personal life to enliven and illustrate his messages.~ Brenda
It is clear that Dr. Kobrin has discovered that life is a gift to be embraced on a daily, even moment by moment basis. He is a masterful and engaging story teller and his message is wise and compassionate. ~Kathy
I realized that I have spent so much of my time with my head in the past or future – and worrying about stupid things. Dr Kobrin has opened my eyes to the gift of living in the moment. Now, I’m grateful for every moment I have and remembering that each day is a really truly a gift. I feel a deep sense of gratitude for all of the beautiful things in my life, things I have taken for granted. ~Heather>
Dr. Kobrin has changed the way I view myself and others around me. He uses everyday human stories, movies and television shows to really bring you to a place of understanding the idea he is conveying. ~Sharon
For anyone who cares about the true meaning of life, how to achieve inner happiness and keep it, and to do so nearly effortlessly by recognizing our own human make-up. Dr Kobrin delivers very simple tools, always at our disposal. Thank you to Dr. Kobrin for spelling it out so simply and delightfully that we are left with knowing we want it and can have it. ~Bente
I have struggled with how to incorporate mindfulness into my everyday life with peace versus frustration that I cannot seem to meditate but Dr. Kobrin breaks mindfulness down into simple, easy and quick ways that can be implemented in steps that are as easy as breathing. ~ Laura
Clinicians: Earn 12 units of Continuing Education
For Psychologists and California licensed mental health professionals (BBS)
Not only will this course allow professionals an opportunity for self-exploration and personal growth, but it will offer an opportunity to learn clinical techniques, interventions and practices based in Mindful Psychology. Dr Kobrin will discuss the clinical ramifications of the material that has been presented, offer specific interventions and practices to be used in the clinical setting and also respond to questions related to clinical practice.
CE Available: 12
Psychologists: Academy of Mindful Psychology is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to offer continuing education for psychologists. Academy of Mindful Psychology maintains responsibility for its programs and their content.
CA MFT,LCSW,LPC,LEP: Academy of Mindful Psychology is an approved provider of continuing education by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences (PCE#4709).