Introduction by Dr. Neil Kobrin
Do you ever feel like life is simply passing you by or that you are surviving rather than thriving?
Do you have the experience that you are enduring life rather than enjoying life?
Well you are not alone! Countless people experience life in this way.
Many of us are simply not given the tools to experience life differently.
Now you can learn effective ways to change all that.
Consider what is preventing you from living more fully? What could you do to change the way you feel?
What can you let go of in your life that would allow you to experience life in a more loving, meaningful way?
Dr. Neil Kobrin combines the ancient wisdom of mindfulness with his vast understanding of psychology to bring you an experience created to change your life. He will to introduce you to a new paradigm he calls Mindful Psychology and teach you the tools necessary to lead a less reactive, more contented life.
Through this six week video/teleseminar online course you will engage in an interactive process that will give you an opportunity to challenge your “emotional status quo.” You will be given the tools to change the way you see the world, change your relationship with yourself and cultivate true emotional well-being.
Each week you will receive:
- A video designed to fully involve you in a process of self-exploration, as well as a worksheet containing questions for you to explore the content of the video.
- A “mindful way” exercise; a guided meditation that will help you quiet the mind and connect with your inner-being.
- A weekly live Group Call with Dr. Neil Kobrin. You and your fellow course participants will have an opportunity to:
- participate in a live discussion
- ask questions about the week’s video content or related material
- process what has emerged for you.
Clinicians: Earn 12 units of Continuing Education
For Psychologists and California licensed mental health professionals (BBS)
Not only will this course allow professionals an opportunity for self-exploration and personal growth, but it will offer an opportunity to learn clinical techniques, interventions and practices based in Mindful Psychology.
Each week clinicians will receive an additional video entitled “The Clinical Corner” in which Dr Kobrin will discuss the clinical ramifications of the material that has been presented as well as offer specific interventions and practices to be used in the clinical setting.
Dr Kobrin will also respond to questions related to clinical practice.
About Dr Kobrin
Dr. Neil Kobrin, is a licensed clinical psychologist, LCSW and MFT with decades of experience in human transformation and emotional well-being. He is the bestselling author of the book Emotional Well-Being: Embracing the Gift of Life and is the founder and president of the Academy of Mindful Psychology. He is an international workshop leader in Mindfulness and Emotional Health. His workshops, attended by people from all over the world are designed to cultivate awareness, promote tranquility, and shift consciousness to advance emotional well-being.
Dr Kobrin has served as President of several professional psychology graduate schools and university, while also teaching clinical courses to graduate students as a professor. He has trained psychotherapists throughout the world and still maintains a clinical practice.
What People are Saying
Dr. Kobrin presents practical wisdom, engaging stories, and a message for me… a reminder to be more mindful around every activity, every thought, every belief, and every interaction. I’m reminded to slow down, pay more attention to what’s going on in my world and be aware of the atmosphere I create through my everyday expressions. Dr. Kobrin uses his knowledge and experience as a clinical psychologist, scientific studies, anecdotal data, wisdom from popular Hollywood movies, and an array of stories from his personal life to enliven and illustrate his messages.~ Brenda
It is clear that Dr. Kobrin has discovered that life is a gift to be embraced on a daily, even moment by moment basis. He is a masterful and engaging story teller and his message is wise and compassionate. ~Kathy
I realized that I have spent so much of my time with my head in the past or future – and worrying about stupid things. Dr Kobrin has opened my eyes to the gift of living in the moment. Now, I’m grateful for every moment I have and remembering that each day is a really truly a gift. I feel a deep sense of gratitude for all of the beautiful things in my life, things I have taken for granted. ~Heather>
Dr. Kobrin has changed the way I view myself and others around me. He uses everyday human stories, movies and television shows to really bring you to a place of understanding the idea he is conveying. ~Sharon
For anyone who cares about the true meaning of life, how to achieve inner happiness and keep it, and to do so nearly effortlessly by recognizing our own human make-up. Dr Kobrin delivers very simple tools, always at our disposal. Thank you to Dr. Kobrin for spelling it out so simply and delightfully that we are left with knowing we want it and can have it. ~Bente
I have struggled with how to incorporate mindfulness into my everyday life with peace versus frustration that I cannot seem to meditate but Dr. Kobrin breaks mindfulness down into simple, easy and quick ways that can be implemented in steps that are as easy as breathing. ~ Laura
What you will learn in this course
Session 1: Embracing Impermanence
- Discover what you believe is preventing you from being happy and feeling secure.
- Recognize what your main struggle is in embracing your life as a gift.
- Learn how you attempt to control your world and the consequences of doing this.
- Recognize your views and judgments about yourself and your life and how they influence your experience of life.
- Learn what you need to let go of to bring joy to your life and how to go about doing that.
- Experience mindfulness and how it can change your life.
Session 2: Managing Emotions
- Explore your emotional world and learn what triggers you to feel good or bad.
- Determine how emotionally open or closed you are and what factors contribute to this.
- Discover how “in touch” you are with your emotions and what you believe contributes to this.
- Learn about emotional regulation and what makes you emotionally reactive.
- Determine how emotionally resilient you are and what may hamper your ability to bounce back after an upset?
- Realize how your relationships affect you and the ways in which they can have less influence over you.
Session 3: Observing Attachments
- Learn how your assumptions about events that occur in your life change your emotional experience.
- Discover what you are “attached” to and how these attachments influence your life.
- Explore how you see “yourself and others” and the affect it has on your well-being.
- Learn how the “narrative” that you tell yourself about your life keeps you locked into a framework that dictates how you feel about life and what you can do about it.
- Discover what you cling to and how it impacts you.
- Explore the things you avoid in your life and why, and how this avoidance hampers your contentment.
Session 4: Thinking in Constructs
- Learn what a “construct” is and how they are formed.
Discover the major constructs of your life and how they impact how you view things.
- Realize the “rules” you live by and the impact they have on your emotional well-being.
- Recognize what you strongly “identify” with and how these identifications affect your life.
- Learn how your constructs help define who you are and the influence they have on your life experience.
- Experience how your constructs affect your relationships.
Session 5: Illuminating Context
- Learn what “context” is and how it affects your behavior, your thoughts and your feelings.
- “Every behavior must be viewed within the context in which it takes place”- Learn what this means and how it can change the way you see things.
- Discover how your life context was developed and who influenced it and how?
- Realize the general context in which you view life and how it influences your life experience.
- Discover what your “worldview” is and the impact it has on you.
- Learn ways to change the way context affects you and bring greater emotional well-being into your life.
Session 6: Opening to Abundance
- Learn what “emotional abundance” is and discover your relationship to it.
- Learn what “emotional scarcity” is and discover your relationship to it.
- Learn what an “emotional shield” is and how you may deploy them.
- Explore how you protect yourself emotionally and how you can change this process.
- Discover what you are grateful for in your life and how gratitude affects your emotional well-being.
- Recognize how compassion can alter your life’s experience.
What you will receive in this course
Weekly Video Course Sessions:
Each week you will receive a video in which Dr Neil presents insightful information related to the fundamentals of Mindful Psychology. Through his story telling ability these concepts come to life and can easily be understood and applied to your life experience.
Contained in each video is a Mindful Way exercise, a guided meditation designed to allow you to experience these concepts directly while cultivating insight and compassion.
Worksheets Accompanying Each Video:
To enhance your experience Dr Neil has developed a series of questions based on the content of each video. These questions allow you to engage in self exploration and facilitate a deepening understanding of yourself and what has, and continues to, impact your life.
Through this process insights or feelings may arise that you can discuss during the live call with Dr Neil, if you so choose.
Weekly Live Calls with Dr Neil:
Each week Dr Neil will conduct a live group call. Here you will be able to ask any questions related to the material that has been presented or process anything that may have emerged for you.
If you miss a call or are unavailable to attend the calls don’t worry. Each Live Call will be recorded and you will have the ability to listen to them once posted.
Access to Other Participants through Online Forum:
Throughout the course you will be able to share your experience with your online community. Here you can post comments, ask questions or simply connect with your fellow course members. This allows you the opportunity to receive feedback, encouragement, and support, while developing new relationships.
The Clinical Corner Videos:
Each week an additional video entitled “The Clinical Corner.” will be posted. In these videos Dr Kobrin will discuss the clinical relevancy and ramifications related to the material that has been presented. He will also offer specific clinical interventions and practices that can be used in the clinical setting. To receive continuing education credits you must view these videos and pass the test offered at the end of the course.
Dates: June 19 – July 29, 2014
Live Group Calls: Tuesdays at 6:00 pm EST / 3:00 pm PST
CE Available: 12
Psychologists: Academy of Mindful Psychology is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to offer continuing education for psychologists. Academy of Mindful Psychology maintains responsibility for its programs and their content.
CA MFT,LCSW,LPC,LEP: Academy of Mindful Psychology is an approved provider of continuing education by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences (PCE#4709).